Land Use In wotton
What: Study of potential for land use change to store more carbon. Community tree planting. Woodland creation. Trees on farms and better soil management. More active sustainable woodland management.
How: Initial study, "What if we did in the Parish what the Committee on Climate Change recommends for Land-use, Land-use Change and Forestry (LULUCF) across the UK to hit net zero emissions by 2050?" Answer - woodland creation, trees on farms, better soil management = 4% of Wotton's emissions reduction achieved (by storing more carbon in trees and soils). Campaign via various local events to get people to pledge to plant trees, using the Woodland Trust's Great Climate Fightback free trees initiative. Help from local groups and landowners, e.g.: Matara near Kingswood, Wotton Community Parc. Support from Town Council to assess their land for planting, 3 sites chosen. Now looking to enable local landowners to come forward with larger areas for planting and planning links with local businesses on carbon finance. Links to an international sustainable farming project via a local charity, Rory's Wish.
Direct Carbon Saving: 10 kgCO2e/yr
Further Information: So far, planted c500 trees. A further 3 sites covering 1/3ha committed (subject to final details) - another 500 trees to be planted in Nov. 2020. This would save 10tCO2e/yr (emissions of 1 of us for 1 year) - it's a start. Events and initiatives to maintain momentum, e.g.: local tree nursery, tree related talks, "Trees Love Care" event to care for newly planted trees.
- Solution: Nature, Conservation & Environment > Environmental Conservation > Forests & Woodland > Afforestation
- Solution: Nature, Conservation & Environment > Environmental Conservation > Forests & Woodland > Community Tree Planting
- Solution: Nature, Conservation & Environment > Environmental Conservation > Forests & Woodland > Hedgerow Restoration
- Solution: Nature, Conservation & Environment > Environmental Conservation > Forests & Woodland > Woodland Management
- Solution: Food & Agriculture > Agriculture & Land > Soil Improvement > Regenerative Agriculture
Lead Group: Wotton Area Climate Action Network
Contact Name: Wotton Area Climate Action Network
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: n/a
Partner Groups Role:
Postcode: GL12 7JJ
Locality: Wotton-under-Edge, Wotton-under-Edge, Stroud, Gloucestershire, South West